Spine Institute of San Diego
6719 Alvarado Road, Suite 308
San Diego, CA 92120
- Doctor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. Graduated June 1996.
- Bachelor of Arts / Masters of Science in Biology, Combined 5-year program. University of California, San Diego. Graduated June 1987.
- Fellowship in Spine Surgery, at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. July 2001 – June 2002.
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at University of California, San Diego, Department of Orthopaedics. Graduated July 2001.
LICENSES AND ACCREDITATIONS
- State of California, Medical Doctor
- Part I examination American Board of Orthopaedics Surgery passed July 2001
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- Degenerative spinal disease
- Adult spinal deformity
- Osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures
- Bone regeneration
- Biologic scaffolds for tissue engineering
AWARDS AND HONORS
- California Orthopaedic Association Lloyd W. Taylor Award, Feb 2000
- James Esch Award for Best Clinical Research, Jun 1999
- Honors in Special Field, cum laude – Harvard Medical School, June 1996
- Selected Speaker, Harvard Medical School Research Assembly, June 1994
- Harvard Medical School Student Research Fellowship, Terms 1993 and 1994
- Mandel Scholarship – UCLA, Term 1991
- United States Public Health Service National Research Awards, Terms 1988, 1989, 1990
- UCLA Graduate Division Scholarship, Term 1987
- Cohen-Gadol AA, Dekutoski MB, Kim CW, Quast LM, Krauss WE (2002). Safety of Supplemental Endplate Screw placement in Thoracic Pedicle Hook Fixation. J Neurosurgery (submitted)
- Currier BL, Kim CW (2002). “Anterior Cervcial Decompression” in Atlas of Cervical Spine Surgery. Cervical Spine Research Society. H Herkowitz, eds. Lippincott Williams. (submitted).
- Talac R, Yaszemski MJ, Currier BL, Fuchs B, Kim CW, Sim FH (2002). Primary Sarcomas of the Mobile Spine. Clin Orthop Rel Res 397: 127-32.
- Todd L, Yaszemski MJ, Currier BL, Fuchs B, Kim CW, Sim FH (2002). Bowel and Bladder Function after Major Sacral Resection. Clin Orthop Rel Res 397: 36-9.
- Jacofsky DJ, Kim CW, Currier BL, Yaszemski MJ (2001). “Complications in the Treatment of Spinal Trauma” in Skeletal Trauma 3rd edition. Eds. Browner, Jupiter, Levine, Trafton. Saunders pubs. (in press).
- Kim CW, Lee G, Abrams R, Hoyt D, and Garfin SR (2001). Use of Vascularized Fibular Grafts for the Treatment of Failed Spinal Fusions. Spine 26: 2171-75.
- Kim CW, Klein, J, Garfin SR (2001) “Chapter 24: Joints systems-Cervical Spine” in Disability Evaluation. Eds. Demter SL, Andersson G, Smith GM. Mosby. St Louis. American Medical Association (in press).
- Kim CW, Lee A, Hoyt D, Kennedy F, Newton PO, Smith J, and Meyer RS (2001). Personal Watercraft Injuries in San Diego County. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma (submitted).
- Fricka KB, Kim CW, Newton PO (2001) Spinal Lordosis With Marked Opisthotonus Secondary to Dystonia Musculorum Deformans. Spine 26: 2283-2288
- Kim CW, Jamali A, Brage M, Convery FR, and Bugbee W (2001). Treatment of Post-traumatic Ankle Arthritis using Bipolar Tibiotalar Osteochondral Allografts. Foot and Ankle International (in press).
- Gerling M, Pfirrmann C, Farooki S, Kim CW, Boyd GJ, Aronoff MD, Feng S,Jacobson JA, Resnick D, Brage ME (2001). Posterior Tibialis Tendon Tears: Comparison of the Diagnostic Efficacy of MR Imaging and Ultrasonography for the Detection of Surgically-Created Longitudinal Tears. A Prospective Blinded Study of 64 Lesions in Cadavers. JBJS-Br (submitted)
- Kim CW and Pedowitz R (2001). “Principles of Surgery: Graft Choices and the Biology of Graft Healing” in Knee Ligaments: Structure, Function, Injury, and Repair. Akeson, O’Connor, Pedowitz, Eds. Lippincott-Raven, Pubs (in press).
- Kim CW, Tontz W, Pedowitz RA (2000). Meniscal Cysts. Op Techniques in Orthop 10: 227-233.
- Kim CW, Haghighi P, Botte MJ, Meyer RS (1999). Large medial knee mass in a 61 year-old man. Clin Orthop Rel Res 362: 251-263.
- Kim CW, Shea K, and Chambers HG (1999). Heel Pain in Children: Diagnosis and Treatment. J Am Pod Assoc 89: 67-74.
- Kim CW, Jaramillo D, and Hresko MT (1997). MRI demonstration of occult purely chondral fractures of the tibia: A potential mimic of meniscal tears. Pediatr Radiol 27: 765-766.
- Gallo RL, Kim CW, Adzick NS, Bernfield M (1996). Syndecans-1 and –4 are induced during wound repair of neonatal but not fetal skin. J Invest Dermatol 107: 676-683.
- Kim CW, Goldberger O, Gallo RL, Bernfield M (1994). Members of the syndecan family of heparan sulfate proteoglycans are expressed in distinct cell-, tissue-, and development-specific patterns. Mol Biol Cell 5: 797-805.
- Kim CW, Markiewicz P, Lee JJ, Schierle CF, Miller JH (1993). Studies of the hyperthermophile Thermatoga maritima by random sequencing of cDNA and genomic libraries: Cloning and sequencing of the trpE and trpG(D) genes. J Mol Biol 231: 960-981.Kim CW, Michaels ML, Miller JH (1992). Amino acid substitution analysis of thymidylate synthase: The study of a highly conserved region at the N-terminus. Proteins 13: 352-363.
- Michaels ML, Kim CW, Matthews DA, and Miller JH (1990). E. coli thymidylate synthase: Amino acid substitutions by suppression of amber nonsense mutations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 3957-3961.
- Gallo RL, Siebert I, Kim CW, Bernfield M (1994) The syndecans, co-receptors for matrix and growth factors are selectively expressed in a developmental and tissue-specific pattern. J Invest Dermatol 102(4): 622.
- Kim CW, Goldberger O, Gallo RL, Bernfield M (1993). Members of the syndecan family of heparan sulfate proteoglycans show cell- and tissue-specific expression. Mol Biol Cell 4: 421a. Poster presentation at the American Society of Cell Biology, New Orleans, LA.
- Gallo RL, Kim, CW, Ono M, Klagsburn M, Page C, Eriksson E, Bernfield M (1993). Regulation of the syndecan family of matrix and growth factor co-receptors: Detection of an inductive activity released during wound repair. J Inves Dermatol 101(3): 412.
- Gallo RL, Povsic T, Kim CW, Page C, Erikson E, Bernfield, M (1993). The syndecans, co-receptors for matrix and growth factors, are induced selectively by an activity in wound fluid. J Invest Dermatol 100(4): 506.
- Kim CW, Michaels ML, Markiewicz PG, Miller JH (1989). The use of E. coli nonsense suppressors to rapidly introduce amino acid substitutions in thymidylate synthase. J Cell Biochem 17A: 72.
- Yaszemski MJ, Kim CW, Talac R, Currier BL (2002). Metastatic Disease of the Spine: Evaluation and Treatment. Instructional Course Lecture #270. Annual Meeting of the AAOS, Dallas, Texas, 2002.
- Aslam MA, Kim CW, Murikipudi S, Chu PW, Currier BL, Lu L, Yaszemski MJ (2001). Fabrication and characterization of porous, injectable poly(propylene fumarate)-based scaffolds via a foaming method. Abstract submitted for 28th Annural meeting of the Society for Biomaterials (Tampa, FL)
- Yaszemski MJ, Kim CW, Talac R, Currier BL (2001). Flatback Syndrome: Evaluation, Indications, Techniques, and Complications. AAOS Advanced Spine Course. Chicago, Ill.
- Kim CW, Lee G, Abrams R, Hoyt D, and Garfin SR (1999). Use of Vascularized Fibular Grafts for the Treatment of Failed Spinal Fusions. Presented at the VII Congress of the Brazilian Spine Society, September 22-25, 1999. Bahia, Brazil.
- Kim CW, Lee A, Hoyt D, Kennedy F, Smith J, and Meyer RS (1999). Personal Watercraft Injuries in San Diego County. Poster presentation at the 15th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, October 22-24, 1999. Charlotte, NC.
- Kim CW, Jamali A, Convery FR, and Bugbee W (1999). Treatment of Post-traumatic Ankle Arthritis using Bipolar Tibiotalar Osteochondral Allografts. Oral presentation at the AAOS Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, 1999.